Sunday, June 6, 2010

Scared ~ by Tom Davis

If you want to read a fun, lighthearted story put this book on the back burner.  If you want to feel good about your life and the way you live in it, don't open a single page.  If you want to feel like you are doing enough and don't want a challenge or you enjoy your ignorance of what is going on to people in this world, don't even - wait; I dare you to read this book and remain as you are.

Tom Davis brings to life a fictional story that is all too real for far too many.  Seen through the eyes of a photojournalist, the horrors of poverty in Africa are revealed.  It's not a fairytale story where everyone gets everything they want, but it's a glimpse of truth set with the hope of God's salvation for the "least of these" as well as those with plenty.  The reality of what the character sees while on his assignment have an impact on him, as well as with me.  I felt as he did with eyes newly opened to see the real people, children with names, instead of statistical numbers representing those dying of starvation and AIDS every day.  It was heartbreaking and challenging.  It was a difficult book to read, not literally, but emotionally.  I couldn't put it down, but it wrenched my soul.

It is a call to those who have been given much.  In as much as I have been given financially, I could also use some of the complete faith and trust in Jesus that they have to share with me.  If you choose to read this book, realize that you will be challenged in the way you live your comfortable, safe life.

Scared is certainly a great book that I would recommend.  Just be ready for Jesus to speak to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment