Thursday, May 24, 2012

As One Devil to Another ~ Book Review and Drawing!

As a fan of C.S. Lewis, I was familiar with this format of one "devil" corresponding to another with a glimpse of what that could possibly look like.  Richard Platt takes this method and does his predecessor proud.  As One Devil to Another opens, we see the plight of a possible demon whose sole purpose is to keep the soul of one woman from falling into God's (the Adversary in the tale) hands.

The tale is exceptional at explaining how Satan could be using today's issues and new norms to cultivate his seemingly winning war against God, specifically in developed cultures.  I was impressed to read the simple and direct line of thinking with regards to technology and sex that clearly shows a direction away from God's Word.  It isn't complicated.  In fact, it's too easy.  Along with these modern issues, Platt also uses this forum to explain a little about the deeper reasons for pain and suffering or loss.  In a humorous way, we see the plight of the demons thwarted by God's grace.

The writing was very easy to follow, though I must admit, I kept thinking there would be a 2-way correspondence, not primarily one.  Once I figured that out, it was pretty smooth sailing.  My only real complaint was with the drawings and the obvious comic bent they provided.  I'm not one to believe there is a demon around every bush, but I don't believe they are little "devils" with horns and a pointy tail.  For whatever reason, this overly-done cartoon view of demons makes me feel like telling the one who does the writing/drawing to be careful, but then again, I have nothing to fear either.

I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any of my Christian friends.  Especially those who have enjoyed C.S. Lewis.  I am thankful for Tyndale Publishers for providing me with this copy.  If you would like a copy of this from them as well, please comment and I will draw a name to win a certificate for a free copy!  You can simply take the certificate into a Christian bookstore or mail it to them (instructions are on the certificate) and viola!  Don't forget to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment